Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Crystal Sings Her (bower)Sox Off... (Idol IX Finale 1)

Well, here we are.  Someone asked me earlier today if I was going to watch the Idol finale shows, and I sighed and said yes.  They asked me who I thought would win, and I sighed again and said, "I dunno.  Not sure if I care."  They asked me why I would still watch, and I sighed again and said, "Because I've invested far too much time into this season to not finish it."

And so it goes.

THIS IS AMERICAN

IDOL

It's Crystal vs. Lee.  Don't get me wrong... I think they are both talented.  Both have great voices, both have had numerous stand-out performances, and truly, through this season, America made the right decision when figuring out who to put in the Top Two.  That being said, neither are really all that... well, super.  Idol is looking for a superstar, and both are just... well, talented singers that are getting a bigger chance than most. 

And in a case of bad choreography, Lee ambles down the aisle, while Crystal starts off in a sprint, the mic booms like she drops something, she runs back and faces the camera looking confused.   Seacrest tells us they will be singing a song from this season, one as chosen by Idol producer Simon Fuller and finally, one that they'll be releasing if they win.

Lee DeWyze chooses "The Boxer" to sing as his song already performed this year.   Not bad, though it just sounds like what he did a few weeks ago during "Inspirational Week".   Randy the Dawg liked it, Ellen DeG says, "I couldn't be prouder if I birthed you myself".  Kara the New Hotness says she wants more.  Simon the Cowell wants a lot more.

Crystal Bowersox is reprising "Me and Bobby McGee" from #1s week, a song made famous by Janis Joplin.  She does it well, I guess, reminds me of Janis' original, which is good.  Randy the Dawg thought it was dope.  America's Favorite Lesbian Ellen DeGeneres calls her compelling.  Kara the New Hotness loves the fire in her (C'Bosox) belly.  Simon the Cowell says this was her best.

Now, the second song to be done by Lee DeWyze, singing "Everybody Hurts" from REM.  This song is a producer's choice. This was also a song from my college years, 1994 to be exact, from the album "Automatic for the People" back when REM was.. well, when they were relevent.  Seriously, the to' up the late 80s and early to mid-90s with this song, "Shiny Happy People", "The One I Love", "End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)" and of course, "Losing My Religion", that song where Michael Stipe just sits in a stool and flails his arms around in the video, looking almost cool doing it.

Ever seen the video to "Everybody Hurts"?   Like, all these cars get stuck on a bridge, and everyone gets out of their cars and start walking, much to the surprise of the newcaster narrating.  Oh, Randy, Ellen, Kara and Simon liked Lee here.

Back in school, there was a guy we knew obsessed with REM.  We used to kid around and tell him that REM stood for Rear End Men.  Turns out, years later, Stipe would prove that to be correct.  Go figure.  I was only more shocked when I found out that Nathan Lane was gay. 

Crystal comes out singing "Black Velvet", a song I destest and deplore.  And she's doing it in a dress that is not doing her curvy figure any favors.  I believe Clarice in "Steel Magnolias" said it best, at Shelby's reception... "looks like two pigs fightin' under a blanket"

Randy the Dawg loved it.  Ellen DeG loved it.  Kara the New Hotness loved it.  Simon the Cowell loved it.  Of course.


Personally, I like "Love Is", Alannah Myles "Black Velvet" follow up, much better.   You know, the last song she released before disappearing into obscurity.

If Lee DeWyze wins it all, this will be his song... "Beautiful Day" is the tune.   Is this... is this the U2 song?  Seriously?  I guess that makes sense... every song they attempt to write for the Idols absolutely blows chunks, so let's find a proven winner by rippin' someone else's song.

Randy the Dawg liked it.  Ellen DeG liked it.  Kara the New Hotness liked it.  Simon the Cowell liked it.  I thought it was good.

And Crystal's song is "Up to the Mountain (MLK Song)".  Its a song done by Patty Griffin, by also covered by Kelly Clarkson and Jeff Beck during Idol Gives Back in 2007.  And C'Bosox's version?  I thought it was fantastic.  Absolutely fantastic.   By the way, I didn't add the phrase (MLK Song) as any attempt to be cynical or sarcastic--thats part of the title. 

So sez Wiki:  "Up to the Mountain (MLK Song)" is a contemporary folk song written by Patty Griffin. The song touches upon emotions surrounding Martin Luther King, Jr.'s famous 1968 "I've Been to the Mountaintop" speech, given the day before his assassination in Memphis, Tennessee.

Here's my picks for tonight... Crystal's "Up to the Mountain"... Crystal's "Me and Bobby McGee"... Lee's "Beautiful Day"... Lee's "Everybody Hurts"... Lee's "The Boxer"... Crystal's "Black Velvet"

Peronsally, I think Crystal Bowersox wins this, and if she does, I will immediately purchase "Up to the Mountain (MLK Song)" by C'Bosox as soon as its available. 

And to wrap up, its Will Young, the winner of the UK's Pop Idol, and the guy who sings "Leave Right Now", the exit song for Idol this year is onstage singing that very song.   The Lovely Steph Leann and I debate on whether he's black or not.  I think he could be, she says no.

Tomorrow night at 8pm, join me here on Clouds as I give a running diary of the finals... why at 8?  Well, if I wait an hour, I can fast forward through commercials, the Ford Music Video, random performances we want to skip and so on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear your response! Click here!!