Thursday, December 01, 2011

Fiddy Watch, Day 2

Well, it's early. I was up late, and I was up early. No kid yet and I'm already tired... Guess I'm getting prepared for that state of being.

So, we were supposed to be due on 12/17. The new, fancy schmancy wing of the Brookwood Medical Center opens on December 2nd, which I thought we would pass by at least a week, even if Fiddy came early... But o never imagined she/he would come this early! What the crap, mini me?!

I'll try to keep this page updated today so you will know what's going on... Website traffic, great suspense, big "reveal" at the end, who loses? No one, that's who!

633a
Up, out and on my way to the hospital! Got my pillow, got some clothes, got my toiletries, got my... Crap

637a
Up, out and on my way to the hospital!
Got pillow, got clothes, got my wallet now and... Crap

643a
Up, out and on my way to the hospital! Got my phone charger now!

658a
At Burger King. Their sausage, egg and cheese croissan'wich is so stinkin good. It's sad, though, when the Cole machine is slightly off kilter--too much syrup or not enough, too much carbonation or not enough, I can never tell what the issue is. I have had enough co-cola, bottled, fountain and other, to know when it's not right.

First world problems for $300, Alex

702a
And finally, on the way. It's a crisp 27 degrees outside, the first real frost of the season, nice and sunny. What a great day to have a baby.

724a
There are a few "Expectant Mothers" parking spaces available. I have an expectant mother in this very hospital. So I parked there. And I felt judgment from an also-parking expectant mother. Don't hate.

754a
Due to a number of (non-serious, mostly) issues, Dr. Babysnatcher just came in and said, "I think it's time to have this baby."

823a
So, the "water" in the "water breaking" part of it... That was one of the oddest, and at the same time, most foul smelling things I've ever olfactored. Whew.

843a
Dr. Babysnatcher has told us that it will likely be some time this morning... The Lovely Steph Leann is dozing and I'm trying to stay awake in this sleepy, dimly lit room.

1056a
So far, the morning has been really nothing more than feeding ice chips (four cups so far) in between her naps (about nine of those so far). We are in that weird "in labor but not yet ready to deliver" phase. Perhaps this afternoon.

1236p
I'm always amused at how fast she falls asleep, especially in times of duress... She will be talking to me, and won't finish before she starts a light snore.

1238p
I'm hungry. Like, really hungry. Mama Ruthless left hours ago, going home to shower and coming back soon. I'm at the bedside of The Lovely Steph Leann, and I won't leave her by herself. Do the math and that equals a hungry d$, but can't do anything about it.

Dr. Babysnatcher is coming back around 130 to check up on her, and we will see what happens then... But all signs are good so far.

1243p
Sitting here in a dark room, listening to The Lovely Steph Leann quietly sleep, and my head nods a little. My fingers relax and the phone slips, but then I awake, my reflexes jump into action and I catch the iPhone in midair.

Cause I'm that good. Boo ya, or something.

145p
Me: I see the look on your face. Soon, isn't it?
Her: Yes

149p
Because of her blood pressure, we have opted for the epidural. She didn't want it, but it's about the safest option now.

211p
CONTRACTION!!!

214p
CONTRACTION!!!!!!

217p
All I know is, I couldn't do this

221p
I'm outside while they do the epidural. Not to be too selfish, but holy crap I'm hungry.

227p
So, now that I'm outside the room with time to reflect, I gotta say... I'm one heck of a good breathing coach. The downside? I'm pretty lightheaded right now. And starving. Not a championship combination.

236p
Because they are in the room and I'm not allowed to be right now, I had to go down the hall to the bathroom. And there are all sorts of bellows and wails coming from various closed doors along the way. I'm not convinced that I didn't just pass a room with a delivering beluga whale. And it might have been singing Beiber.

238p
At this point, when I stop posting for a few minutes means that we--I say "we", when all I'm doing is breathing in a rhythmic fashion--are actually having a baby. Good times.

315p
You ever have that friend that calls you up, in a frenzybusyhurry to tell you that they are coming over, like, RIGHT NOW!!! so you gotta clean up, run around and put things away, hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and get ready...

...only to find out that even though you rushed and took shortcuts to get ready, they arent coming over for a while--only they don't call, they just fail to show up...

Yeah, that's our kid.

328p
Alrighty... Here we go. As Rafiki would say... "it is time."

437p
Campbell Isaiah Dollar is here

446p
He weighs 8lbs, 3oz... 21 3/4 inches. He is perfect.

507p
I know that this is supposed to be magical, and it was amazing... But this was one of the weirder things I've ever seen... Just saying.

552p
Well, there you have it. I wanted to write this blog so our friends and family could follow along and know what's happening, so I can remember the day better and so little Campbell can read about it one day too.

We have noticed that little man... well, he is a crier. But we love him.

Thanks for all the well wishes on Facebook and here, and thanks to all the guys sent me texts and offered food and nursery help and so on...

What a monumental day...

10 comments:

  1. Yay yay! Praying for Steph and the baby and you Dave! Hang in there! Will be watching for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, little $! Can't wait to hear the news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to hand it to you, this is the most entertaining blog post I have ever read from you and there have been some GREAT ones in the past. Good catch with the Phone. Those reflexes may come in handy when you are rocking Jr and he/she goes to fall. HA! Congrats you two..I am SO happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are quite entertaining! Praying for you all and can't wait to hear the news. I hope everything goes very well and that Stephanie is feeling ok. Praying also that they let her have one of the new rooms in the new hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who's done this baby thing twice...good call on the epidural!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you all! Praying for all three of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dying to hear what's going on! Praying for and thinking about you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures of Campbell!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea!! Haskin is so excited to have a new friend! Congratulations! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to you and Stephanie!! Welcome to the wonderful world of parenthood!! I know you are going to be wonderful parents! Looking forward to seeing pictures!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear your response! Click here!!