Thursday, June 15, 2006

"Godless" and Other Books of Fun

I love Ann Coulter.

There, I said it. I meant it. This is a conservative woman, a right wing nut job if you will, who prides herself on not only hacking off liberals, she says the things that most conservatives in the mainstream won't say... she's like the girl in the group who says stuff without thinking--only Ann thinks when she says it, and she's usually right. She's a Jesus lovin, anti-abortion, pro-Bush, prayer-in-schools activist woman who stands forever tall and I would love to meet.

You may know the story floating around her now--she's written a book called "Godless: The Church of Liberalism", and the media has jumped all over one sentence buried deep in one chapter. Though you can read about it here, it simply says that the four widows who have been so vocal against the war and the administration have been lionized and made into icons in the mainstream press... and Ann just wants them to stop "enjoying their husbands deaths so much"

What does it mean? It speaks to the fact that liberals, and Democrats, like to push forth victims, and dare you to respond. You CAN'T respond to them, no matter what they say! They lost loved ones! This is the same mentality that let that moron Cindy Sheehan run all over the country pretending she matters, ruining the awesome legacy left by her son who re-enlisted in the military (voluntarily, by the way) and was killed in battle. Let's face it... when the Democrats start moving away from you because you're a little too kooky for them, then you have problems.

Lest we not forget that the same party, the very same Democrats who hold their widows tightly, who love their victims because it gives them a group that is forces to lean on them (New Orleans? Illegals? Anyone?) is the same party who loves undermining the president in a time of war, openly comparing him to Hitler, destroying intelligence processes that will help prevent another 9/11 and worse. (Hey liberals... Murtha, Kerry, Pelosi, Moore--you can have 'em)

If you click on her website, she says the following:
"Godless" examines a set of beliefs known as "liberalism." It is the doctrine that prompts otherwise seemingly sane people to propose teaching children how to masturbate, allowing gays to marry, releasing murderers from prison, and teaching children that they share a common ancestor with the earthworm... It's not just that liberals ban rabbis from saying brief prayers at high school graduations and swoop down on courthouses and town squares across America to cart off Ten Commandments monuments... the thesis of "Godless" is: Liberalism IS a religion. The liberal religion has its own cosmology, its own explanation for why we are here, its own gods, its own clergy. The basic tenet of liberalism is that nature is god and men are monkeys. (Except not as pure-hearted as actual monkeys, who don't pollute, make nukes or believe in God.)

I only mention this because I turned on Jay Leno's Tonight Show to see KT Tunstall perform. (right before the commercial, Jay yells "when we come back, TK Tunstall!". Funny). Well, anyway, George Carlin is on there... now I like George Carlin sometimes, but I think he thinks himself a little smarter than he actually is. And because he's a comedian, he, of course, has the perfect Iraq policy to end the war, which he shares.

So, next, they bring out Ann Coulter... and I'm loving it. Seriously, Ann is my celebrity girlfriend right now, I swear. So Jay is trying to ask all these questions about her book, and she's firing right back at him--you can tell that Jay is not trying to make it super serious, but he's really attempting to make her answer for some of her comments, which she does just fine. And then, they pan out, and George Carlin is sitting there, silent, with this "I will snap her neck in three places in about four seconds" look on his face. Its priceless. As she's sitting there, making total sense, he's fuming while Jay is just stumbling about.

To top it off, KT Tunstall does a rousing "Black Horse & the Cherry Tree" version, my favorite song of 2006 so far (much like my Top Ten Coolest Things of 2005, KT has a legit shot at the 2006 list)

To answer your question, no, I have not read "Godless" yet... for three reasons--1) It just came out, and its too expensive for me right now. But even if I had $25 to buy it, I wouldn't yet because 2) I've learned that when poly sci and some non-fiction books come out in trade paperback, they usually have an updated or expanded chapter or foreward. I'm waiting for the TPB next year, much like this book I've been wanting to read for six months now, but will buy the trade when its released in October. Oh, and 3) I've got to start on some of other books, notably the one I'm going to start reading, which is "How To Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)". Taking a cue from my pal Jaci, I'm even going to use a highlighter to mark my favorite parts.

I just finished, tonight, a fabulous book about television. I call it "Desperate Networks", though the official title is "Desperate Networks: Starring Katie Couric, Les Moonves, Simon Cowell, Dan Rather, Jeff Zucker, Teri Hatcher, Conan O'Brien, Donald Trump and a Host of Other Movers and Shakers Who Changed the Face of Primetime TV".

The author is Bill Carter, the same guy who wrote "The Late Shift", which documented the late night TV battle between Letterman and Leno, after Johnny Carson retired. Never read that one, but HBO made it into a movie which was really good.

Anyway, "Desperate Networks" is a fun read, if you are into this sort of pop culture thing, and it really sheds some light on how TV works... in fact, I learned:
--Fox almost didn't pick up American Idol. It was shopped to other stations first.
--CSI almost didn't make it on the schedule for CBS, it was a last minute addition, and William Petersen (Gil Grissom) had to fight hard for it
--Desperate Housewives and Lost were two shows that ABC didn't want, and both were almost cut in the script phase
--ABC also made the boneheaded decision to pass on Survivor and American Idol
--NBC's "Must See Thursday" lineup, which it held dominant for 20 years, slowly crumbled while CBS' power players built a strong schedule to beat it, which it did
--NBC also pushed hard on Jay Leno to commit to retire in '09, so it wouldn't lose Conan O'Brien, much like it blew the deal with Letterman in the early 90s--Leno didn't want to commit, but he didn't want Conan to go through what he went through with the Tonight Show/Letterman fiasco
--Dan Rather is a blubbering idiot... wait, I knew that.

It was also interesting for me to read NBC's behind the scenes stuff with names like Jeff Zucker, Bob Wright and Jeff Immelt, because when I worked for NBC 13 here in B'ham, I knew those names as the "higher-up-powers-that-be", and even talked to all three on the phone at one time or another.

The other books that are in line to read:
  • "The Death of the WCW" by RD Reynolds (I'm really excited about this book... I wish I were kidding)
  • "100 People Who are Screwing Up America (and Al Franken is #37)" by Bernard Goldberg (Jack Huberman wrote a leftist version called "101 People Who Are Really Screwing America"... he lists God as one of them)
  • "Dating Amy" by Amy Dezellar (it looks really funny, but it may be a little over the edge)
  • Someone actually wrote about the popularity of Christian Rock... (I wonder from what angle)
  • "Disney War" by James Stewart (I'm fighting the urge to read this, because I don't like to think of Michael Eisner as an egotistical jerk--which he was, but more than that, this book is beastly, at over 600 pages)
  • If I have time to, I want to tackle the Harry Potter series again, making it a summer ritual.
  • And finally... they've gone and published fiction about Lost. Crap. Now I gotta read these too.
Well, thats all I got right now... Steph and I are leaving for a big fat Greek wedding in Mobile early Friday morning, so I'll give you the full update on Monday!

1 comment:

  1. "Body Piercing Saved My Life", the Christian rock book, was written by Andrew Beaujon, an agnostic. They say, however, that he does a good job keeping it focused on the music.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear your response! Click here!!