Friday, July 26, 2013

the grace abuser

What can I say... I'm a sinner.  Pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

I know the Word, so I can't play ignorant... I just simply turn the other way many times, and the problem is, many times, I'm not sure I care so much.  I enjoy what I do, I enjoy doing my own thing many times, and... well, I'm just too lazy.  I'm too lazy to sometimes do the right thing, I like the easy way out, whatever makes me feel nice and doesn't make me have to work for anything.  Its just easier. 

Here's what Romans 7: 15 - 25 has to say, according to The Message... Yes. I'm full of myself—after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.

But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?

The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different

What I seem to keep forgetting is that Jesus Christ... well, He's got this.  He's got it.  I am a screw up, but He's got redemption with my name on it.  As Out of the Grey once sang, "Grace Abounds and I'm the Chief Abuser".

It sounds like a pity-party, I know, but its really not... its an admittance.  An admittance of guilt, an admittance of a need for humility and a need for a Savior... and what better way to express it than the Sinner Anthem, a song by Chris Rice from the Deep Enough to Dream album, called "Clumsy"...

Think I'd have it down by now... I've been practicing for 24 years.

Should have walked a 1000 miles... what am I still doing here?

Reaching out for the same ol' piece of forbidden fruit
I slip and fall and knock my halo loose,
Somebody tell me what’s a stupid sinner like me supposed to do?
Gonna get it right this time, I'll be strong and I'll make You proud
Prayed that prayer a 1000 times, the rooster crows and my tears roll down...
You keep reminding me You made me from the dust
And I can never be, no, never be good enough
But You're not gonna let that come between us...

I get so Clumsy... I get so foolish...
I get so stupid... and I'm feeling so useless
But You're saying You love me
And You still want to hold me
Now You want to be near me
Still making me Holy, still making me Holy...

From where I stand Your holiness is up so high
I can barely reach it..
My only hope is to follow Jesus....

I get so Clumsy... I get so foolish...
I get so stupid... and I'm feeling so useless
But You're saying You love me
And You still want to hold me
Now You want to be near me
Still making me Holy, still making me Holy...
Have you ever sinned, been forgiven, and then turned around a little while later and did the same thing again... and then go through this cycle a dozen times?

Aren't you glad that its grace by faith, and not by works?  I get Clumsy, Stupid, Foolish and feel so useless many times... but I am assured in the fact that He made me from the dust, and no matter what--or how good--I do, I will NEVER be good enough...

"...but You're not gonna let that come between us..."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear your response! Click here!!