Saturday, November 02, 2019

NaBloWriMo

My favorite playlist on my iPod is one called "The Best Soy Latte That You've Ever Had... And Me". As I type, I'll list the songs that play. I won't get through many, not tonight, but it's a start.

"Collide" - Howie Day

Hey.

I miss you.

I do. I really do. I miss typing on this keyboard and making some sort of story happen, some sort of thought spell out in a way that perhaps I didn't know it would when I started the paragraph, or even the sentence.

I used to be a writer, a long time ago... stop me if you've heard this before, and you did if you've read my post number 1000 , or even my sporadic "Imma blog again!" posts that declare that... well, Imma blog again.

Life is so busy. I have three podcasts... did you know that? Three. The Deucecast Movie Show, which is a show about movies... My Kid's Got the Autism, which is a podcast about the fact I'm a dad who has no clue what I'm doing... and Magic on a Dollar, which is my Disney podcast.  Am I good at podcasting? No idea. I've been told I'm a good speaker, I guess given the topic I can be, and I've been told I'm a pretty good storyteller, which is one of my favorite compliments I can receive.

But I know I can write. I've been doing it a long time. Not saying I'm the best, I'm not saying my words on a blank screen will fill your heart with joy and your life with purpose, but I've been known to cut a page or two in my day.

"Clarity" - John Mayer

November is known to authors as a time to write a novel... National Novel Writing Month - or NaNoWriMo for short, pronounced Nay No Rye Mo. Like Settlers of Catan, it's fun to say, hard to accomplish.  Basically, you take November and you write a novel. Work out your word count per day and see what you come up with, and put that novel on paper.

I've got a novel in me somewhere. And a movie book. And even a book about being an Autism dad. Somewhere. I'm 44, so I'm pretty much cresting that hill where time will start going faster and faster and I'll be done sooner than later -- that's morbid, and I'm not predicting my untimely death at 47 or something... I'd like to think I can hit 80. But if I do, that means I've got less than half of my life left -- if I'm still at the halfway point, I'll be 88 when I see Jesus up yonder way.

All that is to say, if I'm going to do it, I should. I think I could make people smile. Maybe.

My laptop is littered with pieces of a book... about a guy who moves to Nova Scotia... about a guy named Peter who is getting married, and thinks about the points of his life that got him to where he currently stands... about a group of friends who converge on a college weekend...

"You & I (both)" - Jason Mraz

...and they get caught up in something very bad.... and of course, the list of my 500 favorite films.

Those books are in there.

But the decision I have to make is... do I continue pursuing the auditory aspect, with the podcasts, or do I finally embrace the written word and try to master what I'm already pretty good at (I can say that, and can imagine someone like KB Hoyle thinking "I've read your stuff... don't get too sure of yourself. You're not that good."  She's amazing, by the way. And beautiful. And that's not me being fresh or anything, she truly is a beautiful person. And so freaking talented.)

So thus, the first post of "NaBloWriMo", or National Blog Writing Month.  A month I'm going to take and try to get my mojo back and see what happens.

I'm not even going to promo this post on Facebook... I'll let it find it's own audience, if it does, and if it doesn't, that's okay too. I can write for others later, but I probably need to write for me for just a little bit.

"Love Song" - Sara Bareillis (my 2nd fave song ever)

Okay. That's it. As Alanis says (and will say later in this playlist) "These R the thoughts that go through my head"

Let me go link and format really quick.

Hold please.

"Not the Only One" - Sam Smith

Ok, that's it. It's likely super grammatically incorrect -- no one tell The Peacock Quill, who is my editing hero deserving of hero worship. Love her. Also a beautiful person. Also not fresh.

Good night Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear your response! Click here!!