Saturday, August 24, 2013

the journey begins with a grin

We have an autistic child.  The psychologist said so.  And I'll share that, much more of that, in a day or so.  Tonight, however, I just wanted to share this...

We grieved this evening. Not for long.  Not much.  A little. We grieve over all the things our son likely won't be, while we learn to accept who he is now. 

I met up with some new friends this afternoon... and then The Lovely Steph Leann and I met some old friends for dinner... and all the while, I thought of our Campbell...

And tonight, when we got home, I sat down and reality began to finally set in.  He's autistic.  We now have a diagnosed special needs child. 

I saw on the couch, and a tear came down one cheek.  Then a tear came down the other.  The Lovely Steph Leann came and sat beside me, putting her head on my shoulder, while Campbell went around the room, playing with this toy and that, not letting himself spend too much time on any one thing.

I wiped a few tears, I heard The Lovely Steph Leann sniffle and wipe her eyes. 

And then, as if on cue, Campbell came up to me.  He put his hands on my knees, his signal for "I want up".  I pulled the lever for the recliner, and the pedestal rose, bring him up as well.  He crawled into my lap, and as he did, he grinned.  This wonderful, beautiful, gap toothed, innocent grin.

He grinned at us.  At me.

The Lovely Steph Leann said, "Ha... he's saying 'No Mommy, I want to love on Daddy, not you!'"

I paused, and smiled, wiping another tear, saying, "No, I don't think so.  I think he is saying 'Don't cry Mommy and Daddy.  I'm cool.  I'm going to be fine.  Just you wait and see.'" 

And with that grin, this is where our journey, the part that now has a label on it, officially begins.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I love you, you know? I know I don't see you and Steph anywhere near often enough, but I love you both. Your lives have intertwined with mine over the years and I consider you good friends. I will be praying extra hard for you guys. Campbell is a doll and God's got HUGE plans for his life. Just you wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its lovely you shared this intimate moment. A special quiet moment for your family. I know you journaling your journey via the internet will be an encouragement to others from various walks as they read it. May God be glorified in it. Prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is an amazing child already!! Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good stuff, david. not good cause this won't be a hard journey. but good because the stories He writes for our lives are always good. glad the internets brought us back together.
    amber

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear your response! Click here!!