Friday, August 01, 2008

August and Everything After

If you've come to the blogsite, you might wonder if that song you are hearing (if you do listen to the music) is something you've just missed. Well, no, its a new song. In fact, I've already decided that at the beginning of each month, there will be a new playlist for your perusal.

The only song that stays is "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon, mostly because its pretty much the lead in to this site... I say that if you are reading this on Clouds In My Coffee. If you are in Facebook, I've got my blog imported, and you can hear the same playlist, but I'd love for you to go over to my real site, where the magic really happens. Anything to make my daily counter go up, and anything to hit that golden 14,000 page loads.

Anyway, here's the new stuff that I chose for the site--and since its on random-play, you probably won't hear them in this order.

After "You're So Vain"...

"The Last of the Mohicans Main Theme" by... well, the song says Trevor Jones & Randy Edelman, but who knows? I'm not really sure this is the official title of it, but this song is just awesome. Its... well, its the main theme from a movie that is not only in The Dave100, but in The Dave20 as far as I'm concerned. How can you not be pumped after hearing this tune? Right now, I want to go run and jump over something, then throw a tomahawk into the head of a rogue Indian named Magua.

"Jimmy Olsen's Blues" by The Spin Doctors. From the album "Pocket Full of Kryptonite", they did a Superman song before Three Doors Down (is that who sang that "if I go crazy will you still call me Superman" tune?) ever did. Thanks to "Attractive Sorority Girl" Kelli for this one.

"Rock Your Body" by Justin Timberlake. Somehow its cool to like JT. It just is. And this is my favorite of all of JT's stuff.

"Clarity" by John Mayer. After really enjoying "No Such Thing" and "Your Body Is a Wonderland", somehow this song just creeped up through everything and became a John Mayer staple on my iPod. The trumpets close to the end are just great.

"Whole Again" by Jennifer Knapp. From the album that changed my life. I'll probably put a Jennifer Knapp song up every month or so, starting here. "I seem to find myself in need to be forgiven, is there still room upon that knee?" I love my grace-giving Jesus.

"Real Love" by Mary J. Blige. I used to sing this song as a senior in High School. However, I'm not black. Rodney Hornsby was (and I'm sure still is) though, so he always laughed hard when I would see him and say "we are lovah's true and tho' we made it thru tha storm...".

"Cable Car (over my head)" by The Fray. One of the most played songs on my iPod, like, top three, and the 6th coolest thing about 2007. Great stuff.

"Miss You Much" by Janet Jackson. I had to make the decision of, do I replace them all, or do I leave a few up? Originally, I was going to replace five per month, but I always remember the phrase "leave 'em wanting more", meaning it would be better to take off a song then to leave it up for months, making my readers tired of it. I mean, as great as "100 Years" by Five For Fighting might be, you can only hear it so many times.

Another song that gave me pause was last months Janet selection, "Love Will Never Do (without you)". I almost left it up, until I made the uniform decision that it all comes down and changes, save for Carly.


The video for Miss You Much is completely 90s. Hair. Outfits. Even the dancing is dated... cool as grits, but still dated. I miss the days when the Jackson family was semi-normal.

Anyway, I will probably have some sort of "waiting period" for a song to re-appear, maybe two months, maybe six months, whatever. But for August, I wanted to continue the Rhythm Nation 1814 groove, so you get this fantastic tune.

"Train Wreck" by Sarah McLachlan. Ran into the same problem as Janet with Sarah. Wanted to leave my favorite song, "Possession" up, but it too came down. Here's a great one, though, from her last CD, "Afterglow".

"Moratorium" by Alanis Morissette. Wow this song is great. And wow, her new album is great too. I've missed the Jagged Little Pill Alanis.

"Waterloo" by ABBA. I had a hard time with ABBA, only because there were several songs I considered... "SOS", "Mamma Mia", "Dancing Queen"... ulitimately, I went with one that isn't on the "Mamma Mia!" soundtrack. I dare you to not smile during this song--its just too fun.

"Hard Luck Woman" by Garth Brooks. Its difficult to pick out Garth in this song, because it just doesn't sound much like him. This is his cover of the KISS song, for the KISS tribute album of the 90s, "KISS My A**". Siobhan Stewart and I were both fond of this song, or at least we talked about it on that one date we had in August of 1994.

"You and I Both" by Jason Mraz. I like the guy. "Geek in the Pink" was an option, but I have heard that song many, many times, with it being on a popular playlist on my iPod. So I chose this one. Enjoy.

"Don't You (forget about me)" by Simple Minds. In honor of my 86th favorite movie ever, and a dedication to the founder of The Dixon Brock Theory, I thought it fiting. Go ahead. Sing it loud. Hey Hey Hey Hey! Ooh ooh, whoaaaa!

So, that's my choices for August. What do you think? And, do you have any requests? What music do you want to hear while surfing Clouds In My Coffee?

(KT, I have Eddie coming in September).

PS... I posted this, then went to check the posting as I always do to make sure it all loaded correctly. And as the page came up, the beats of "Rock Your Body" came out, and Justin started with, "...don't be so quick to... walk away (dance with me)". Its going to be awesome for someone to come to my page and have that be the first thing that they hear. Well, actually, I find it awesome that anyone comes to my page, period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear your response! Click here!!