Thursday, September 09, 2010

In Memoriam of 9/11 Continued

In Memoriam Part IV

"Worst thing I could imagine in my whole life. I'm sad just watching it."

In Memoriam Part V

"The reality is not going to come for a couple of days, when we start putting all the names together.  [I feel] Awful.  Vengeful.  Total awe.  I mean, uh, think about it.  Look at this, and you ask yourself 'Why?'  There's no justification for this.  None."

Says My Best Mate Wookiee, aka Chris Fulaytar... September 11, 2001 started out like any other day for me. I got up, showered, dressed for work, and headed out the door for another day in the trenches at Wetumpka High School.

I was going about my normal pre-school routine thinking it was just another day in the life.

First period started as usual and I was going through the normal beginning of class routine when a colleague from across the hall came and told me that a plane had hit one of the WTC buildings. I thought that was unusual and turned on CNN really quick to see what was going on. I turned it on just in time to see plane number 2 hit the WTC.


It took few a couple of minutes to process that we were under attack. I was in absolute shock. To heck with teaching, the rest of the day, we watched the news to see what was going on. During that time we learned of the plane crashing into the Pentagon and some random plane that had gone done out in the middle of some field in Pennsylvania, We would find out later that the brave people on that plane that crashed in Pennsylvania took the plane back from their captors instead of allowing them to kill even more people.

I remember the unity and determination that ensued. For a short time in this country, there were no Democrats and Republicans, black and white, gay or straight. We were just Americans pulling together to help one another through this tragic event. American flags were everywhere. Trivial things like pro and college football were put aside so the nation could mourn. That was nice while it lasted. Before I knew it, the divisiveness was back and the American flags were put away except for the 4th of July, Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day. People were back to wondering whether or not their favorite team would win that weekend and who Billy Joe Jim Bob was going to sign with to pay college football.

Every year, when 9/11 falls on a school day, I wear an American flag polo I have had since college. I take that day to tell each one of my classes what happened that day, where I was when it happened, and to remember the people that lost their lives.

Every year, I tell the kids I teach that they will probably have, in their lifetime, a moment in which they will remember where they were and what they were doing when some major event occurred. For my parents it was JFK. For their parents it was Pearl Harbor. For my generation the Challenger explosion and 9/11. When that event happens, I hope the sense of unity and determination that allowed us to forge ahead after 9/11 remains long after that event is over.

In Memoriam Part VI

"Its like searching for a needle in a haystack at this point, it really is.  I'm just praying that everything is going to be fine.  He's a very strong kid.  And he's a very loving person.  And... so we're just hoping we'll find him..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear your response! Click here!!