Friday, October 30, 2009

From Timberlake to Gay Backup Dancers--More Favorite Music Videos

Here's another few vidoes in my effort to give you my favorite 20 videos of the decade... you can find #20, "Fallin' For You" by Colbie Caillat, in this post from a few days ago...

There is a tie for the 19th favorite video of the decade... actually, it's two. It truly speaks to, as a Christ Follower, what we should enjoy and what we should be bothered by. Truly, it all boils down to knowing what I believe, knowing why I believe it, and knowing my weak points. Rap videos are not my weak points, and after seeing them, I'm typically not tempted to go find me a 'ho and smack her up.

That being said, I'm aware that this site is linked on several other websites, including the webpage of my church, Valleydale Church (an sbc fellowship). You came here for music and music videos, not for a spiritual lesson (though really, shouldn't our day to day life be one spiritual lesson?)... so with that, I'm only going to tell you that tied for #19 are Ludacris' "Stand Up" and Eminem's "Without Me", two hilarious videos that really have nothing to do with the usually debauchery that you'd find in such artist's videos and lyrics. The former is just about a big party, the latter is... well, kind of narcassistic. But both are excellent, very well done, creative and funny. And if you want to see them, you can go to YouTube. I'm not going to give you the resources to put such filth in front of your faces. Sinner.

Moving on.

At number 18 for the decade, its Part Two of one of the biggest "Screw You!" moves I've ever seen. This is for K-Dub (not directly to K-Dub, but for K-Dub)

Actually, truth be told, in "What Goes Around... / ...Comes Around", Justin Timberlake never expressly said this was directed at Britney, but its always been rumored as being such. I was never a huge fan of this song until I saw the video, which put a whole different perspective on the song.



Yes, that is Scarlett Johansson in the video... and she's actually a singer in her own right. She just released an album of duets with Pete Yorn, and I'm loving one of their latest--you'll hear me talk about it on the year-ending 100 Coolest Things of 2009 coming in January.

This is just the short version... there is actually a 10 minute mini-movie version you can see it by clicking here but I couldn't find the link to post it on Clouds... you can see it by clicking on this link (warning--though not bad, I don't know that I would deem it Emmy Turnbow safe).

At #17, here's one from Brandi Carlile. The song itself actually was actually the 32nd Coolest Thing of 2007, but there's a video that goes with it that I just love. Here's what I said about her then:

Brandi Carlisle, is a up and coming singer songwriter who has the benefit of getting a song on "Grey's Anatomy", which is pretty close to instant success. Actually, she's managed to get three or four songs on the show, but this one is the one I really like, as it was released in video form, containing clips of the show set to the music.



For someone who loves the show, it is great when a video just gets it. Nothing flashy about it, I just really like the way its done. And I've said this before--when I die, I want this song and "What a Wonderful World/Over the Rainbow" by the late Israel Kamakawiwo'ole played, showing video clips from my entire life. Don't have any video clips? Better get some. I'm in my mid-30s by now, you are missing tons of stuff.

And finally, for today, here's #16, which unfortunately I can't show you--something about copyrighted property, and trademarks and me not owning the rights to show it and all that crap...

It's "Say It Right" by Nelly Furtado, and there a few things I love about this video... first, at least for me, its one of the few times I think Nelly Furtado actually comes across as attractive. Never been a huge fan, not really sure I am now, but this song entrances me. Its just... well, its just cool.
Secondly, Timbaland is awesome. I don't know who's idea it was to do close ups of Timbaland saying "Hey" over and over, but it works. Somehow, someway, the only job this guy has is to make goofy faces, whisper in the background "you don't mean nothing at all", scat a little bit and say "Hey" a thousand times. Fantastic. He's the best part of the video.

Photobucket

Finally, see those guys in the background that do that shoulder swivel move, using their legs? It happens around 2:43 in... its like Patrick Swayze doing that side-to-side aisle dance move at the end of "Dirty Dancing", and it looks so incredibly easy... but its impossible to do. Or impossible to do and still look as cool as the ones who are doing it. Perhaps it helps that they look as gay as a four dollar bill--the background dancers, not Patrick Swayze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear your response! Click here!!