Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The TV Roundup

I watch too much tv...

...first up, American Idol. I've refrained from saying much about it, until now, with the Top 24. I actually don't have a favorite just yet (I immediately spotted Pickles, McPhee, Taylor and Daughtry last year as faves), I do have a few I am hoping will do well, those being Punjab the Indian Guy (yeah, that's probably un-PC to call him that, but a, I think PC-ness is alot of the problems this country has and b, I can't think of his name, and c, you knew who I meant anyway) is really good, and of course, you gotta like Chris Sligh, and his 'fro patro'. I'm kinda liking Brandon Rogers, as far as the guys go.

I'm also an early fan of Lisa Turtle, er, Tucker's Part II, that being Jordan Sparks (I picked her out from the moment we saw her audition), and Melinda Doolittle, and I'm really diggin' Gina Glocksen. Of course, I also dug Amy Adams (her rendition of Sin Wagon was hot) and Julia Demato (she was just hot) from seasons past, and they were both booted within two weeks of the finals.

Some of these people I vaguely remember from auditions, like Jared Cotter, Haley Scarnetto, and someone tell me who the crap Leslie Hunt and Amy Krebs are? Voted out, I'd think.

Anyway, the guys kicked off the night tonight, with forgettable performances (or, what I saw, but I'll get to that).

Rudy Cardenas... to show you how memorable this guy was singing "Free Ride", I started typing right after Paul Kim sang. I had to finish the tape, type all you read below, the rewind the tape to see who started the night. Seriously, I couldn't remember this guy or his song. Now I'm rewatching it, and wishing I hadn't. Make matters worse, I forgot who sang it, so I had to go on a five minute search of the web to come up with The Edgar Winters Group. Rudy bugs me now.
Sundance Head... sang a horrid rendition of "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. What a great song (the original). Like, there is this...
Brandon Rogers... former backup singer for Usher and Christina Aguilera makes it bigtime, singing a pretty good version of "Rock With You" by Michael Jackson, a song that when iTunes finally calls me, will end up on my celebrity playlist.
Paul Kim... doing "Careless Whisper" by Wham!. Actually, it was Wham! featuring George Michael--both Paula Maddox & Mackey can attest that in the mid-80s, George Michael was relevant and actually talented, and not gay.
Chris Richardson... the judges liked his "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin McGraw. Me? Not so much. He seems too much of a pansy to sing a rocker song like that. Its like the inverse of Daughtry sang "How Can We Be Lovers" by Michael Bolton.
Nick Pedro... Speaking of pansy songs, this goober decides to rock out with "Now and Forever" by Richard Marx... I haven't heard that song in a while, and I'm okay with that. But this guy? I... uh... huh, what? Oh sorry, I dozed off. Kids, you want a real Richard Marx song? Go download these two: "Endless Summer Nights" and "Hazard".
Blake Lewis... the beatbox kid.

I'd love to tell you how I thought Blake Lewis, as well as Punjab, Chris Sligh and the other guys I can't remember, but I only recorded one hour, not two, cause I'm stupid.

$$$$$$$$$$

Next up... The Amazing Race All Stars.

I still love Dustin & Kandice. I can't tell them apart, but the fact that no one likes them because they are so competative makes me root for them. I'm also pulling for Uchenna and Joyce, though I'm sure going on a trip around the world is the perfect solution for a troubled marriage due to infertility.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Go Dustin! Go Kandice!

Rob and Amber? How much more of Rob and Amber do we have to endure? I mean, there are other reality couples I would watch--take Ethan and Jenna, who also met on Survivor All Stars several years ago. And Mary and David, aka Kentucky, drive me nuts. I don't find them cute or precious or whatever... I find them stupid and annoying. Lose, darn you both.

$$$$$$$$$$

It's still too early to know what to think about Survivor Fiji. As it usually takes a few weeks to pick out who I like and don't, I'm still in that "learning" phase. Building off last season's "race groups", this group is totally diverse. Not a blond hot chick in the bunch.

$$$$$$$$$$
I freakin' love Lost. Absolutely love it.
$$$$$$$$$$

I wanted to keep watching Heroes and Jericho, but I just ran out of time. I've resigned to catching up on Scrubs and CSI on dvd, andthe jury is still out on Studio 60 and Grey's Anatomy as to whether we'll ever be able to catch up.

$$$$$$$$$$
Do you ever get sucked into infomercials? Usually those for the Magic Bullet or OxyClean don't do it for me, but when I stumbed upon a CD Collection informercial, I stop. And, like this one on right now, I'm hooked.
Hosted by Air Supply, its 1,377 of my favorite soft rock hits on 509 CDs, for only 76 easy payments of $38.99 apiece.
Seriously, I watch them mostly to catch songs that I've forgotten. Out of my 8,000+ songs on my iPod, how I've lived without "Lowdown" by Boz Scaggs all this time, I'll never know.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Even the nights are better with Air Supply, cause their makin' love... outta nothing at all (makin' love) out of nothing at all (makin' love) out of nothing at all.
And I love the concert footage they toss in there... who knew that Linda Ronstadt was once so thin? Who knew that Exile looked like the guys from Nelson? Who knew that Rupert Holmes had something out beside "The Pina Colada Song"? Who knew that Bonnie Tyler (Total Eclipse of the Heart) looked like a Gremlin? Who knew that Cliff Richars even existed?
And if I'm Lindsay Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac, I'm totally hacked off that my band was so cool in the 70s, and is now on the same CD as Elton John, Kim Carnes and the guy who wrote the theme song to the Golden Girls.
Holy crap, if I order using my credit card right now, they'll also send me a CD with 20 unforgettable classics from 1977! All mine to preview for the first 30 days for only $9.95.
Having been a music fan growing up in the 80s and 90s, what frightens me is that in 2017, I'll flip channels one day and stumble upon Lisa Loeb and Darius Rucker from Hootie, hosting "Unforgettable Hits of the 90s", with 149 hits from the 90s on one fabulous collection, featurng Dead Eye Dick, Ace of Base, Chumbawumba, and who can forget this 1993 hit from SWV (launches into a bad video footage clip of "I'm So Into You").
...I watch too much tv.

1 comment:

  1. I freakin love LOST too. But I hate that I love it. Cause it makes me crazy. And last week I was hopped up on pain pills but home so I didn't tape it, just watched it and it was so nuts... I think, or maybe that was the pain pills... I can't really make sense of it all. We are getting a DVR next month and I will be taping all these things all the time. In reality I know that having one will not actually give me more time (By avoiding commercials) but rather get me addicted to more shows. And I need that like Britney Spears needs a razor. But I can't help it... gotta have it. Okay, I am really going to bed now. Tired over taxes, irritable about Idol and exicted about LOST tommorrow do not make for a sane human being. Night.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear your response! Click here!!